Where We Are

Where We Are

Tuesday 26 May 2015

From shawl knitting virgin to sewing crack....in 249 easy stiches

Dear Michelle,

Hello from a sunny evening in Wales. What have you been up to then, my lovely friend? Me? I've been resting. The bane of my existence is this inanely boring health thing that I have (I wont bore you with details as it is dull, dull dull) but it does mean that I need to rest. Quite a lot actually. And sometimes for months on end. 

Well what's a woman to do?

 I have those  darling dresses waiting in the wings, flapping like very pretty ghosts calling 'finish me, finish me, just one dart...you know you want to!' (Did I mention that the dress is now five ways instead of three? will save that for next post)

Then, there is the continuing sock marathon, only the pain in my arms and hands was making holding those tiny needles a killer. At one point I was propped up with 6 cushions under each arm so I didn't have to raise my hands. Now that's commitment. 

As far as the POD goes...well I might have accidentally bought more fabric. Oh and  swapped some for a lovely Doctor Who damask patterned cotton but actually sitting down at the sewing machine? Er, no. I am resting.

To stave of the mind-numbing dullness that is resting... did I mention I was resting? I decided to knit a shawl...well decided might be too strong a word- the needles mysteriously appeared in my propped up hands and all of a sudden I was knitting. I think it  might have started with an online wool sale at Wool Warehouse. Too much time on ones hands and a paypal account is a dangerous thing. So after a few little purchases, in ready-ness for their arrival, I thought I might have a practice run. 

I should confess now that I am a bit of a wool snob. I like the feel of lovely wool in my hands when i am knitting and when I am wearing it. I don't like the uniform colour of mass dyed wools and as for the A word - Acrylic... I am a smoking hot woman of  peri-menopausal age. I could spontaneously combust at any moment. I don't want to wear anything that might actually melt with me.

Back to practising, I had this huge ball of Aran of indeterminate origin i had bought on-line years ago, mistaking it for something far lovelier and never getting around to returning it. I am not sure what it is. I know what it it not. I know it is not hand dyed blue faced Leicester hand reared on the welsh hills and sung to sleep by fairies as they spin it each night.  It has some wool in it but I don't know how much. I do know it has some you know what in it, that said it didn't feel too bad and it was only a practice until the real lovelies arrived. 

Just five little stitches and I was hooked...it looked so lovely on the needles. It draped across my legs as I lay on the sofa and was warming and comforting. Like realising the guy you are dating, that you are not sure about, is transforming into the man of your dreams, I love this wool. 

Of course the pattern helped. I stated off using Drops Tequila Sunrise.   I printed out the pattern and rearranged to suit my dyslexia and set to. Worked on circular needles it is a simple increase in the centre and at each end, with a looped garter stitch pattern, meaning it grew quite quickly. But you know me and patterns? Easily bored and distracted. 
I cant help myself. So I added a row of Holes (yes that is the technical word, cheeky woman. Are you suggesting I simply cant remember the name for some very fancy stitch?) I then I kept adding them and adding more stitches and a few more extra hoops and it grew and grew and it is so lovely.  

I have tried to knit a shawl before, have drooled over those stunning lace ones on Ravelry. I even have a Craftsy class that will teach me how to make one. But I have struggled with following a chart (not dyslexic friendly)and have gotten myself into a cross knotty mess. Using such a sturdy yarn with sensible size 6 needles (size 10 for U.S)  and a simple repeat pattern and I am hooked.

With the help of a very lovely YouTube lady at Knit Purl Hunter  I even worked out how to do a picot edge. Bind off picot edge.   I  blocked it by soaking in warm water and then laying it, folded up, on a bath towel which i rolled up to squeeze out as much water as I could. I then hung it out to dry. I am sure this is not the correct way to do it but its what I did.  And here it is..in all its glory. 
unblocked and still a work in progress


Sunning itself in the garden




And do you know what, I ran straight back into the house after hanging it up, grabbed a cup of tea and my ipad and was searching Ravelry for the next shawl to knit while it was still dripping. I might squeeze in some socks now my hands are feeling stronger but like a kid on a roller-coaster (no I am not puking into my friends lap) I wanna go again!!!!  I am completely addicted. My legs feel cold and I don't know what to do with my hands. I need another pattern. Only this time a little harder. Just a little more complicated. I can handle it.

 And my new wool arrived, so now I can start the real thing ! HOORAY!

So what are you working on? Come on, I've shown you mine so you show me yours.

All my love

Maya

p.s  it is taking me hours to change al my i's into capitol I's so from now on, with your indulgence i wont bother xxxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment